Are you writing songs, but feel a bit lost wondering if they’re good? Or you don’t know where to even start? This class will get you on your feet and writing songs right away.
You Will Learn:
- How to identify song sections, song structures and arrangements.
- A song analysis method that will help you understand what makes great songs work.
- Various strategies to find ideas and themes for your own original songs.
- The basics of lyric writing: narrative, point of view and tense.
- An easy music theory method to help you write chord progressions and spice up basic songs.
- How to use melodic structure and repetition to write catchy melody lines.
- How to jumpstart your creativity and write when you are uninspired.
- The most important part of song writing: the editing process.
You can participate in workshop style reviews of your own songs (if you like).
Wednesday nights 6:30-8:30pm
About Your Instructor
Justin Leighton Long is a musician, engineer and record producer who has worked in various styles including blues, country, rock, rap and pop. Justin was a founding member, lead guitarist and songwriter for the band No Address. No Address released Time Doesn’t Notice on Atlantic Records, with their debut single “Sadie (When I’m Gone)” standing at #11 on the Billboard Radio charts for 22 weeks. No Address toured North America extensively and Justin’s compositions have been featured in feature films and television series, as well as continuing to maintain airplay around the world.